Fair and equitable treatment and the rule of law
- Velimir Živković.
- Cheltenham, UK : Edward Elgar Publishing, 
- Physical description
- viii, 302 pages ; 24 cm.
- Elgar international investment law.
- Živković, Velimir, author.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Introduction to Fair and equitable treatment and the rule of law
- Fair and equitable treatment : history, indeterminacy, and the rule of law debate
- Fair and equitable treatment as a union of rule of law and equity
- Applying the FET standard : sequential review as a path forward
- Conclusion to Fair and equitable treatment and the rule of law.
- "By comprehensively investigating the Fair and Equitable Treatment Standard (FET), this discerning book presents how this standard in investment treaty disputes can be both legally justified and realistically beneficial. It reflects on how FET jurisprudence can be advantageous to both the rule of law and to the legitimacy of the international investment regime. Fair and Equitable Treatment and the Rule of Law provides a unique argument concerning the grounding of the FET standard in general principles of law and the importance of the host state’s national rule of law and pre-existing obligations for the application of the FET standard. Through a systematic examination of the FET and the concept of the rule of law, the book argues that further interpretation and application of FET should proceed as a sequential review, focusing firstly on the broadly understood domestic legal framework. Chapters present a convincing argument for this technique, concluding that applying such a method would not only be practical but would also allow for positive economic development. This book will be of great interest to scholars focusing on the fields of international investment law and arbitration, general principles of law, and the general rule of law and its contents. Students will also find this a valuable reference for studying both FET jurisprudence and the narratives that surround it"-- Provided by publisher.
- Publication date
- Elgar international investment law
- 9781789904352 (cased)
- 1789904358 (cased)
- 9781789904369 (eBook)
Browse related items
Start at call number: