Advances in information retrieval : 31th [i.e. 31st] European Conference on IR Research, ECIR 2009, Toulouse, France, April 6-9, 2009 ; proceedings
- Mohand Boughanem . [and others] (eds.).
- text file
- Berlin : Springer, 2009.
- Physical description
- 1 online resource (xxii, 821 pages) : illustrations
- Lecture notes in computer science ; 5478.
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Invited Presentations.- Query Evolution.- Searching User Generated Content: What's Next?.- Upcoming Industrial Needs for Search.- Retrieval Model I.- Mean-Variance Analysis: A New Document Ranking Theory in Information Retrieval.- Risk-Aware Information Retrieval.- A Comparative Study of Utilizing Topic Models for Information Retrieval.- Collaborative IR/Filtering.- Synchronous Collaborative Information Retrieval: Techniques and Evaluation.- Movie Recommender: Semantically Enriched Unified Relevance Model for Rating Prediction in Collaborative Filtering.- Revisiting IR Techniques for Collaborative Search Strategies.- Learning.- Active Sampling for Rank Learning via Optimizing the Area under the ROC Curve.- Regression Rank: Learning to Meet the Opportunity of Descriptive Queries.- Active Learning Strategies for Multi-Label Text Classification.- Joint Ranking for Multilingual Web Search.- Multimedia - Metadata.- Diversity, Assortment, Dissimilarity, Variety: A Study of Diversity Measures Using Low Level Features for Video Retrieval.- Bayesian Mixture Hierarchies for Automatic Image Annotation.- XML Multimedia Retrieval: From Relevant Textual Information to Relevant Multimedia Fragments.- Effectively Searching Maps in Web Documents.- Expert Search - Advertising.- Enhancing Expert Finding Using Organizational Hierarchies.- A Vector Space Model for Ranking Entities and Its Application to Expert Search.- Sentiment-Oriented Contextual Advertising.- Lexical Graphs for Improved Contextual Ad Recommendation.- Retrieval Model II.- A Probabilistic Retrieval Model for Semistructured Data.- Model Fusion in Conceptual Language Modeling.- Graded-Inclusion-Based Information Retrieval Systems.- Multidimensional Relevance: A New Aggregation Criterion.- Evaluation.- Using Multiple Query Aspects to Build Test Collections without Human Relevance Judgments.- If I Had a Million Queries.- The Combination and Evaluation of Query Performance Prediction Methods.- Opinion Detection.- Investigating Learning Approaches for Blog Post Opinion Retrieval.- Integrating Proximity to Subjective Sentences for Blog Opinion Retrieval.- Adapting Naive Bayes to Domain Adaptation for Sentiment Analysis.- Web IR.- PathRank: Web Page Retrieval with Navigation Path.- Query Expansion Using External Evidence.- Selective Application of Query-Independent Features in Web Information Retrieval.- Measuring the Search Effectiveness of a Breadth-First Crawl.- Representation.- Using Contextual Information to Improve Search in Email Archives.- of Speech Based Term Weighting for Information Retrieval.- Word Particles Applied to Information Retrieval.- "They Are Out There, If You Know Where to Look": Mining Transliterations of OOV Query Terms for Cross-Language Information Retrieval.- Clustering / Categorization.- E-Mail Classification for Phishing Defense.- Multi-facet Rating of Product Reviews.- Exploiting Surface Features for the Prediction of Podcast Preference.- Distributed IR.- A Topic-Based Measure of Resource Description Quality for Distributed Information Retrieval.- Simple Adaptations of Data Fusion Algorithms for Source Selection.- Document Compaction for Efficient Query Biased Snippet Generation.- Short Papers.- Organizing Suggestions in Autocompletion Interfaces.- Building a Graph of Names and Contextual Patterns for Named Entity Classification.- Combination of Documents Features Based on Simulated Click-through Data.- Discovering Association Rules on Experiences from Large-Scale Blog Entries.- Extracting Geographic Context from the Web: GeoReferencing in MyMoSe.- What Else Is There? Search Diversity Examined.- Using Second Order Statistics to Enhance Automated Image Annotation.- Classifying and Characterizing Query Intent.- Design and Evaluation of a University-Wide Expert Search Engine.- A Study of the Impact of Index Updates on Distributed Query Processing for Web Search.- Generic and Spatial Approaches to Image Search Results Diversification.- Studying Query Expansion Effectiveness.- Correlation of Term Count and Document Frequency for Google N-Grams.- A Cost-Aware Strategy for Query Result Caching in Web Search Engines.- Quality-Oriented Search for Depression Portals.- Evaluation of Text Clustering Algorithms with N-Gram-Based Document Fingerprints.- Exploiting Flickr Tags and Groups for Finding Landmark Photos.- Refining Keyword Queries for XML Retrieval by Combining Content and Structure.- Posters.- Cover Coefficient-Based Multi-document Summarization.- A Practitioner's Guide for Static Index Pruning.- Revisiting N-Gram Based Models for Retrieval in Degraded Large Collections.- A Simple Linear Ranking Algorithm Using Query Dependent Intercept Variables.- Measurement Techniques and Caching Effects.- On Automatic Plagiarism Detection Based on n-Grams Comparison.- Exploiting Visual Concepts to Improve Text-Based Image Retrieval.- Choosing the Best MT Programs for CLIR Purposes - Can MT Metrics Be Helpful?.- Entropy-Based Static Index Pruning.- Representing User Navigation in XML Retrieval with Structural Summaries.- ESUM: An Efficient System for Query-Specific Multi-document Summarization.- Using WordNet's Semantic Relations for Opinion Detection in Blogs.- Improving Opinion Retrieval Based on Query-Specific Sentiment Lexicon.- Automatically Maintained Domain Knowledge: Initial Findings.- A Framework of Evaluation for Question-Answering Systems.- Combining Content and Context Similarities for Image Retrieval.- Investigating the Global Semantic Impact of Speech Recognition Error on Spoken Content Collections.- Supervised Semantic Indexing.- Split and Merge Based Story Segmentation in News Videos.- Encoding Ordinal Features into Binary Features for Text Classification.- Topic and Trend Detection in Text Collections Using Latent Dirichlet Allocation.- Measuring Similarity of Geographic Regions for Geographic Information Retrieval.- Towards the Selection of Induced Syntactic Relations.- DiffPost: Filtering Non-relevant Content Based on Content Difference between Two Consecutive Blog Posts.- An Unsupervised Approach to Product Attribute Extraction.- Workshops.- Workshop on Contextual Information Access, Seeking and Retrieval Evaluation.- Workshop on Information Retrieval over Social Networks.- Workshop on Geographic Information on the Internet Workshop (GIIW).- Tutorials.- Current Developments in Information Retrieval Evaluation.- Information Extraction and Linking in a Retrieval Context.- Mining Query Logs.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's summary
These proceedings contain the papers presented at ECIR 2009, the 31st - ropean Conference on Information Retrieval. The conference was organized by the Institut de Recherche en Informatique de Toulouse (IRIT), in cooperation with the Information Retrieval Specialist Group of the British Computer So- ety (BCS-IRSG) and was supported by the Special Interest Group on Infor- tion Retrieval (ACM SIGIR), the French Association of Information Retrieval (ARIA) and E-IRSG. It was held during April 6-9, 2007 in Toulouse, hosted by the Pierre Baudis congress center. ECIR 2009 con?rmed the growth trend of submissions, with 188 full-paper submissions. Many of these submissions came from outside Europe, and 25 countries were represented in the ?nal ECIR 2009 program, re?ecting the international po- larityandreputationoftheconferenceseries.Furthermorethetradition alstrong focus on students was well preserved, with their participation being great. All submitted papers were reviewed by at least three members of the int- national Program Committee. Out of the 188 papers 42 were selected as full research papers and a further 18 were accepted as short research papers. Short papers were given 8 pages in the proceedings (instead of 12). Out of these 60 selected papers, 30 have a student as the primary author. The accepted papers themselves come from a mixture of universities, researchinstitutes and comm- cial organizations. There was also a separate call for posters. Each of the 60 poster submissions wasreviewedbythreeProgramCommitteemembers, aswithpapersubmissions. Twenty-?ve posters were accepted for presentation. Takentogether, thesepaperscoverthestateoftheartininformationretrieval, including topicssuchasretrievalmodels, evaluationandWeb search, andeme- ing topics such as learning to rank, expert search and opinion detection.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Lecture notes in computer science, 0302-9743 ; 5478
- International conference proceedings.
- Springer - LINK.
- 9783642009570 (pbk.)
- 3642009573 (pbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: