The African Union: legal and institutional framework : a manual on the pan-African organization
- edited by Abdulqawi A. Yusuf and Fatsah Ouguergouz.
- Dar es Salaam : Mkuki na Nyota, 2015.
- Physical description
- xvi, 576 pages ; 25 cm
At the library
SAL3 (off-campus storage)
Stacks Request (opens in new tab)
|KQE721 .A37 2015
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Part I. From the Pan-Africanist movement to the African Union
- Brief historical overview of steps to African unity / Mohammed Bedjaoui
- The transition from the organisation of African unity to the African Union / Tiyanjana Maluwa
- The African Union : principles and purposes / Stephane Doumbe-Bille
- Part II. Structure and organs of the African Union
- The assembly, executive council and commission / Joram M. Biswaro
- The Pan-African Parliament / Sani L. Mohamed
- The African Court of Justice and Human Rights / Fatsah Ouguergouz
- The Peace and Security Council / Roland Adjovi
- The Economic, Social and Cultural Council of the African Union / Mohamed S. Amr
- Part III. Economic integration, development and good governance
- The African Economic Community / Makane M. Mbengue & Ousseni Illy
- The New Partnership for Africa's Development (NEPAD) / Edward Kannyo
- The regional economic communities / Stephen Karangizi
- The prohibition of unconstitutional change of government / Muna Ndulo
- The African Charter on Democracy, Elections and Governance / Helene Tigroudja
- The African Convention on the Prevention and Combating of Corruption / Mpazi Sinjela.
- Part IV. Peace and security
- The role of the Union in conflict prevention and resolution / Mesmer L. Gueuyou
- The right of forcible intervention in certain conflicts / Abdulqawi A. Yusuf
- Peacekeeping operations : the examples of Burundi and Sudan / Mutoy Mubiala
- The African Union's relationship with the United Nations in the maintenance of peace and security / Djaboca L. Tehindrazanarivelo
- The African Charter on Human and Peoples' Rights / Michelo Hansungule
- The Protocol on the Rights of Women in Africa / Rachel Mayanja
- The African Charter on the Rights and Welfare of the Child / Chris M. Peter & Ummy A. Mwalimu
- The Convention governing the specific aspects of refugee problems in Africa / Osita C. Eze.
- It is the goal of this volume to provide a comprehensive work which addresses the institution of the AU, its organs and structures, the scope of its operations, its legal framework and the normative standards underpinning its objectives and functions or those underlying the conventions, charters, and protocols it has enacted or inherited from its predecessor, the OAU. This was not conceived as a scholarly treatise, but as a manual to serve as a basic introduction to the institutional and legal framework of the AU and its affiliated organization. It is meant to offer a concise and clear picture of the nature and workings of a continental institution aimed not only at promoting peace and unity in Africa but also at ensuring human security, development, human rights protection and good governance for the peoples of Africa.
- Publication date
Browse related items
Start at call number: